The Focus of Our Efforts
Earthen Union Civil War Fort
Fort Howell is an earthen fort built in 1864 during the Civil War by the 32nd U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment (Union) to protect the freedmen’s village of Mitchelville. Fort Howell is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and on the Underground Railroad Network to Freedom sponsored by the National Park Service. Visitors are welcome to visit the Fort for free during daylight hours and the Land Trust regularly provides guided tours of the Fort through a partnership with the Coastal Discovery Museum.
WHOOPING CRANE POND CONSERVANCY
This 137 acre conservancy is located within Hilton Head Plantation. Formed as a shallow valley between ancient shoreline dunes, it consists primarily of freshwater black gum, or tupelo, forested swamp and open savannah swamp. There is a 1,100 foot elevated boardwalk that allows access to the heart of the swamp, as well as three trails that allow further viewing of the various habitats.
The 51-acre Cypress Conservancy is located within Hilton Head Plantation. This conservancy is a forested freshwater wetland complex containing the only remaining, naturally-occurring stand of Bald Cypress tress on Hilton Head. This is an elevated boardwalk that leads through the wetlands to an area containing most of the Bald Cypress trees.
NORTHRIDGE CONSERVANCY TRACTS
This 64-acre tract is located at the northern end of Hilton Head Island. The tract protects three natural plant communities found on Sea Islands: an oak and loblolly pine dominated upland, a transitional pine and saw palmetto flatwoods, and a live oak and black gum freshwater wetlands. The tract also contains two freshwater ponds. Because of the delicate nature of this protected area, the Land Trust has chosen to leave this area in an undisturbed state.